I Married A Us Citizen How Long Do I Have To Stay Married To Get My Resident Alien Card?


1 Answers

Anonymous Profile
Anonymous answered
There is really not enough information in your question.

Did you come to the US on a fiancee visa?
Did you get married in the US or overseas?
Has your spouse filed a Petition for Alien Relative for you?

Generally speaking, if you are married to a US citizen, your spouse must file a Petition for Alien Relative for you so that you can come to the country or stay in the country.

In some cases, this can be filed at the same time as the Employment Authorization Card and the Permanent Resident ("Green Card") paperwork - for example, if your spouse is on active duty in the US Armed Forces.

Once your Petition for Alien Relative has been approved, this makes a Visa number available to you, which is issued by the Department of State, and allows you to travel to the United States and then file to adjust your status to become a Permanent Resident. How long the process takes really depends on your spouse's status, whether you and your spouse meet the requirements (your spouse has to meet a financial requirement to prove he or she can support you), etc. Etc.

Normally, after USCIS receives your application, you will get a notice letting you know it has been received. Then you will receive a notice to appear for a biometrics appointment, at which point they will take your photo, fingerprints, and signature at an Application Support Center. Then you wait. If they require any additional paperwork from you, they will send you a notice. Eventually, you will receive a notice to appear for an interview, at which point you will be asked a number of questions, as will your spouse, and the officer will make a determination to approve (or not approve) your application.

For aliens whose US spouse is a member of the US Armed Forces, the average amount of time it takes from filing the paperwork to receiving a Permanent Resident Card is 6 months. I don't know how long it takes for non-military spouses, but if the processing times shown on the USCIS website are any indication, you are looking at about a year.

The first Permanent Resident Card that you will be issued is going to be a conditional card and will be valid for only 2 years. After 2 years, you must file another form to have the conditions of your residency (being married) removed and become a "full" (so to speak) Permanent Resident. This is to prevent people from getting married only to receive a Permanent Resident Card, rather than actually wanting to be married to their spouse.

So, if you get married and plan on getting divorced once you become a Permanent Resident without any conditions on your residency, you would need to be married for AT LEAST three years, AND need to prove that you are actually married, living together, sharing expenses, etc.

Answer Question